Monday, May 21, 2007

My May Must-Read: Beware a Scot’s Revenge by Sabrina Jeffries

I always love it when my favorite authors have a new book being released. It’s generally a sure-fire way to pick up a book you’ll enjoy and Sabrina Jeffries never disappoints. But even I, a devoted Jeffries reader since I came across her Swanlea Spinsters series, was blown away by her newest, Beware a Scot’s Revenge.

Beware a Scot’s Revenge is the fourth story (third full-length book) of Jeffries’s School for Heiresses series. It’s the story of Sir Lachlan Ross and Lady Venetia Campbell, both of whom you briefly meet in the first Heiress book, Never Seduce a Scoundrel. Without giving away too many plot details, the basic premise of the book is that Venetia’s father is Lachlan’s enemy and he kidnaps Venetia in order to force her father to give what is owed to him.

This book was perfection to me. It had adventure, humor, and a wonderful romance. Venetia remembers Lachlan from when they were children and she had a crush on him that has never faded. Lachlan remembers the girl he thought was too proud to live a poorer lifestyle and is amazed to discover how wrong his assumptions were. And while there is a kidnapping plot, Lachlan isn’t cruel to Venetia, rather the kidnapping serves to provide adventure and is an avenue for the romance to develop. The story also takes place entirely in Scotland which for me was another point in its favor.

Lachlan is exactly the sexy, daring hero I dream about and Venetia is the intelligent, adventurous heroine I dream of being. Beware a Scot’s Revenge is a fabulous, sexy, and entertaining romance that I can’t recommend highly enough. While I love all of Jeffries’s books, this one has surpassed even To Pleasure a Prince as my favorite of her books. And while Beware a Scot’s Revenge is part of a series, it can be read on its own.

From the characters, to the story, to even the title and the gorgeous cover, Beware a Scot’s Revenge was and is a pleasure. I cannot wait for the next story in the series and I am especially eager to learn more about Charlotte Harris and the mysterious Cousin Michael.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I JUST READ SCOTS REVENGE. I ENJOYED IT.


PEGGY

Anonymous said...

I finished this last week and absolutely loved it. Tracy

Lila Dubois said...

Hmmm, it's been a long time since I read a good scottish historical. I am still mourning Julie Garwood's going contemporary.

Do I need to read these in order?

Ange - The Romance Groupie said...

Hey Kat!
I tagged you on my blog the other day and then COMPLETELY forgot to tell you so... um... you're it!

:>D

Ange - The Romance Groupie said...

Kat - I had passed on buying this book and decided to wait until it was at the library but I'll have to grab it next time I see it - now I want to read it!

Ooooh, Lila! You hush up about Julie's contemporaries! They're AWESOME!!

But I am actually surprised that you like her historicals. I was listening to Saving Grace on audiobook the other day and I couldn't help thinking "I bet Lila would be really pissed off by Garwood's historicals" because all of the males are so unbearably ALPHA (which I love!).

Kimberly said...

Lila & Ange, I'm so sorry I haven't replied!!!!

Lila, Sabrina Jeffries's School for Heiress series can all pretty much be read as stand-alones. Venetia and Lachlan appear briefly in the first book, but everything you need to know is in BaSR.

Hope you both read and enjoy the book :)